Thursday, February 16, 2012

Two Sides of the Paper

Here's a summary of what I learned in my monoprinting workshop. Some of the variables that make a difference in your prints are:
  • paper absorbency varies, texture varies AND there are 2 sides to the story (see below)
  • paint how it's milled-- if the pigment is coarse or fine will effect it's application
  • heat less heat=less saturation in the paper
  • patience and time good to have more of than I did
  • surprises—the best part if you let them happen and appreciate them
  • imagery— in my case, this was only about process and not about imagery or concept. If I do more work using these methods, I suspect pieces of the prints would become integrated into my paintings or 3D work

The first surprise I discovered is that various papers allow saturation in different ways. In some cases the prints come through more interesting on the back side, and you can change your focus to rework the piece! 



 

Color and texture on japanese calligraphy paper 



 


More of the same, but on Masa a heavier paper (above and below)



 






a metallic paint above and below, I'm not sure which paper







My Favorite First Prints




On Johannot paper, I'm starting to feel more confident with volume of paint





More ability to combine texture and saturation; with a few passes























5 comments:

Roberta said...

I love the landscape looks of the last four.

Corina S. Alvarezdelugo said...

Wonderful workshop!!! Thanks for sharing your experience Lynette. I really love the process!! Can't wait to see you 3-D version!!

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

Love these prints! You mentioned paint so are these prints made with acrylic paint or something else?

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

I continued reading and see that you were working with wax. I'm jealous. Looks like a fabulous setup!

Lynette Haggard said...

Hi Terry! Yes Paula's studio is a beautiful setup, and I had a great time testing out this method of printing.