Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Monoprinting in the Land of Enchantment


This is the beautiful skyline and dirt road entering into Paula's studio

Last week I visited Santa Fe, New Mexico. My husband grew up there, so we visit regularly. While he was in a workshop in Ojo Caliente, taught by Liz Koch, I decided to visit Paula Roland and take a monotype workshop in her new studio, using her hotboxes. I had a terrific time, and well, her studio is gorgeous. (You will need to stay tuned for an interview with Paula, coming soon!)

Paula's double hot box set up to work on

I have done mono printing before, with oil paint. This process is quite different, because of the properties of heat, wax and the absorbency of the paper there are a range of effects you can achieve. Along with the hotboxes, there are a few other essential tools, first to regulate the temperature:


two surface thermostats for the hot box



Once you are ready to to burnish on the hotbox, you'll use these:


Japanese barens 



My first application of wax, pulling off paint with tools




Here's the first paper I pulled, where I'm learning about how much paint to use on the aluminum, it varies with paint, paper and what you are trying to achieve.




This is the print I pulled from above

Later in the day I decided to try a large sheet, and to try to register a few passes on the plate. Unfortunately, my heavy hand with the paint gave me more blobs that I intended...


practicing registration on the hotbox


after a few passes with registration on the  hotbox




ghost image
Good lessons learned and now I can try this on my own. I think I will most likely use pieces of my work within my paintings.

Check back tomorrow I'll post some pix of the prints!

For those of you interested in seeing a demo of this process, R&F Paints has this video:









3 comments:

Roberta said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I am looking forward to seeing what else you make with this technique.

Nancy Natale said...

Very nice, Lynette! I enjoyed hearing about your experiences and seeing the R&F video.

Lynette Haggard said...

Thank you Roberta and Nancy. Yes I had a lovely time. Thanks for reading.