Thursday, March 3, 2011

Terry Jarrard-Dimond: Clemson, South Carolina


 LYNETTE HAGGARD ARTIST INTERVIEW 

What Isn't Seen 2010
43.25 H x 56.5" W - Hand dyed
resist painted, overdyed, machine pieced and stitched




Artist Terry Jarrard-Dimond


A little background about Terry: 
I grew up in a small town in South Carolina and I have vivid memories of loving to make things. This might mean mud pies, paper dolls or drawing in coloring books. My favorite part of vacation bible school was doing arts and crafts and while our tiny school did not have an art program as such, up until the 7th grade art was part of the classroom. I graduated in a class of 27 students. I had only the most cartoonist idea of what an artist was….you know, smock, beret and a paint palette. I didn’t visit an art museum until I was in college. Somehow, despite the unfamiliarity with artists or what that title represented, today I proudly call myself an artist. I live in Clemson, SC and share a studio with my husband, Tom Dimond. Most days my activities revolve around art in some manner.



Did you receive any formal art training? If yes, where and what did you major in?
I have a BA from Winthrop University and an MFA from Clemson University. There was a ten-year spread between the two degrees. I majored in art at Winthrop with a minor in History. During the time between the two degrees I became interested in weaving and that is what I was doing when I began my graduate program. The degree at Clemson does not denote your area of specialty and they encouraged their students to branch out and explore new mediums. When I graduated, I was making mixed media sculpture which had developed out of my interest in textiles.



Shelter  201075" H x 60.25" W - Painted, discharged
pieced and raw-edge applique, machine stitched

Was there a certain point when you decided you were primarily an artist?
 My commitment to art really solidified during my graduate studies. I was already married with one child when I began this program but I had great family support and I dived into the adventure with gusto. One very important part of claiming the title of artist is exploration and school can be a perfect place for that if you’re lucky. The word “primarily” makes me laugh a little because while I think that is true, in today’s environment you also have to be a million other things as well (I’ll let you fill in that blank with your own diverse job titles) and I don’t think I’m very good at most of that other stuff.



Nude In the Dark  2010
53.5" H x 43.5" W—Monoprinted, oil pastel
machine pieced and stitched




Nude in the Dark detail


About Terry's work:
For the last 6 years I have worked with fabric which I hand dye, cut, restructure and stitch. I have focused on very formal compositions using bold shapes and tight spatial relationships but my work is very much in flux right now. I began working with fabric in the way I described while I was working as a textile designer and was very influenced by traditional construction techniques for quilts. I am now focusing more on the potential for expression and trying a wider variety of techniques for making marks and images on the fabric. I want the work to reveal more of the process and I want there to be more of my hand in the work. 



For about the last 18 months I have been painting and monoprinting my fabric with the goal of making work that is more challenging for me and the viewer. Often times the content of the work develops as the work develops and I have to get to the end to understand the beginning. I have begun the practice of writing a statement about each piece when it is complete. These are not traditional statements. Rather, I allow my mind to wander while looking at the work and I document the “stream of consciousness” or flow of thoughts that develop. This is a wonderful practice for someone who has never been successful (meaning dedicated) at keeping a journal.

Terry packing up Sculpture Garden to ship
Germany for Color Improvisation

What is your workspace like? I have three workspaces. Two of these spaces are in our home and are used for design and sewing as well as office space. Our home is close to being 100 years old and the first floor ceilings are 10 feet high so the indoor studio spaces are nice. The third space is a separate building behind our home. There I have a sink and space to mix dye and get messy. There are tables on which to paint, cut, measure, and prepare my work and cabinets for storage. 

There is even a nice bank of spotlights for a second design wall. We have started to photograph the work in that space. I love it but it does get cold here and I don’t keep it heated all year so I’m looking forward to warmer weather.

A peek inside Terry's studio

Are you involved with any arts groups or communities?
My only current on-going affiliation with a community art organization is through my support of the Clemson Visual Arts program at Clemson University. This is the art program that includes the art department, the art gallery and the plan to build a new facility for this department. 


I have lived in this area for many years and over the years have been involved in all kinds of organizations. Through those programs I have met and become friends with many other artists. At this time I am just more focused on my studio.


How do you develop a sense of community with other artists, and how do you support your art colleagues?

Through participation in workshops and exhibitions, I have made a world of new friends over the last few years. I also have an active blog that will soon be two years old. One of my first thoughts about having this blog was that it could be a way to connect and support artists whose work I admired and I have been able to accomplish that. I have developed a number of great relationships with artists all around the US and abroad. I have had some of the most meaningful dialogues with these artists that I’ve ever had. When I visit their websites, blogs etc. I try to share what they are doing through social media and I know they appreciate my efforts on their behalf. These artist work in a variety of mediums and I have become a huge fan of encaustic and artists who work in that medium.

Disintegrations 2011
39" H x 65.75" W — Painted, discharged, monoprinted,
pieced and raw-edge applique, machine stitched


Do you have particular habits that you think support your art practice?

I try to do something in my studio everyday….even if it means I just stand in the room and look at something on the design wall for a bit. This is one of the pluses of my middle studio…..I walk through that room all the time so whatever is going on is not “out of sight”…..nor out of mind. I am also very curious and interested in everything. You never know where or from whom you will learn something new that will find it’s way into your art.


Do you have jobs other than making art? If so, please give us some details.
I give presentations and do workshops. This is fairly new for me but I’ve enjoyed them so far and I’ve met some really talented artists. This spring I will be presenting a workshop titled “Ask” What If?” at the Crow Timberframe Barn which is in Baltimore, Ohio and is a fabulous studio. I am especially excited about this as the owner of this facility, Nancy Crow, is the person who helped me get started with my work. Later in the summer I will present this workshop at Quilting By the Lake in New York.

Do you have any upcoming shows that you'd like to mention?
 I will have work at the Gallery Up, Rock Hill, SC that opens April 7. 

You can also see more of Terry's work on her website.

3 comments:

Gayle Pritchard said...

Thanks for this great feature on Terry. Her work is inspirational, and she is a doll.

John Briner said...

Seeing her works, I think she is an awesome artist. I just checked her website and her pieces are all the fruits of her labor and artistry. Thanks for featuring a wonderful artist like Terry Jarrard-Dimond.

Lynette Haggard said...

Gayle and John, thank you for your comments and for reading! I find Terry's work inspirational too.