Friday, April 9, 2010

How I Ventilate My Encaustic Studio

I am reposting a blog post from 4/9/10, which got lots of great feedback and I think is a helpful post. Here it is!

Today I had a query from my colleague, Donna Hamil Talman, who is about to install a ventilation system in her studio for the use of encaustic painting. I told her about the vendor I used, http://www.sanyangpai.com/ , where I purchased a fan about 2 years ago. The vent fan is much more powerful than what you'd buy locally, and it has a great warranty.



To install it, I built my version of a kind of Kool Aid Stand (above). The fan is suspended a couple of feet above my work table, which is at waist height. I can move freely around my palettes with the fan above my head. I have also installed a long ventilation hose, so that I can move the table in my studio space if I need to.

To  pull the air out of my space, I installed a dryer hose from the fan to the window. I also usually open a window to help with the circulation.

It has been quite beneficial as I have moved to primarily using encaustic paint.
If you have questions feel free to contact me.
Also, if you want to read other info, look on the R&F Encaustic website

4 comments:

CMC said...

Very resourceful. I have a place I could use that used to be a dryer vent in the all of the room I'm using for encaustic painting. I need to talk to you at the conference about how you set this up.

Lynette Haggard said...

Hi Cheryl, happy to chat!

Joanne Mattera said...

Great setup!

Lynette Haggard said...

Thanks all for the feedback!