Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What's this Blogging World all About Anyhow

Well I've been doing lots of looking around at other artists who blog, and at their work websites as well. There's so much on the web that it's easy to get distracted. Some folks blog once a month, some once a day. (OK I've only found ONE person who does this so religiously), and that's Lorraine Glessner, blogger and artist extraordinaire. My friend Nancy Natale suggested I just stay focused on the reasons I decided to blog. She should know, because she's doing a presentation about Art Blogging at this year's Fourth Annual Encaustic Painting Conference. I will also be presenting at this conference. My demo is for those of you who are new to the world of fusing with a torch; comparing three types of torches and explaining basic safety while introducing an open flame into the studio. Last year my demo filled up quickly so please register soon if you want to join in. So back to the blog world, I'm doing this to network, do some marketing of my own work and keep my news and exhibitions listings current. On that page you can see where my work is on display what other events are coming up. I will be offering an Encaustic Painting Demonstration on February 10, 2010 at the Melrose Arts Center . Last but not least, this blog offers me a place to share some of the work that inspires or interests me. Recently I was introduced to the work of Laura Moriarty over the past few years, but have only seen one of her pieces with my own eyes. But take a look at these images, courtesy of her website. The work is RICH.
The Understory 2009 Pigmented beeswax on panel / 11" x 14" x 7"

Scientific Wild Ass Guess (SWAG) 2006/7 A collection of pigmented beeswax painting artifacts arranged on a floor based riser / 54" x 52" x 18"

Crevice 2009 / Pigmented beeswax on panel / 8 x 10 x 6.5 in.

Here's a video to give you a little insight to her methods:

No comments: