Monday, January 4, 2010

What I Did on My Christmas Vacation

Christmas in Santa Fe...
I spent a few days in Santa Fe over the holidays, and packed a lot into the visit.
Taking the back road to Santa Fe from Albuquerque, I stopped in to visit the recently inaugurated Encaustic Art Institute in Cerillos. It's a new venture for Douglas Mehrens, who graciously invited me to see his space and tell me about the mission of the non-profit that he's in the process of launching this year. The concept of a place to teach and promote and show encaustic work interested me, so I thought I'd check it out in person. Cerillos is about 1/2 hour out of Santa Fe in a fairly rural area. Here's a photo of the interior and exterior of the space. After I left, I wondered how viable this institute might be, and the what advantages a membership would offer. It will be interesting to see how it develops. The day after Christmas I cruised the lower Canyon Road galleries. I've been to most all of the galleries several times. I always enjoy Ventana Gallery, and was pleased to see the work of my friend Debra Corbett prominently displayed. Over the past couple of years the new Railyard District has really taken off. (I tried to visit this area on Christmas eve day, but the snowstorm had a few of those galleries closed). After the gallery visit, I met up with Ellen Koment for coffee at the Downtown Subscription, a fun local coffee shop. Ellen is an artist whose work I have admired for many years. In fact, about 6 or 7 years ago she gave me my first introduction to using a blow torch. Fast forward, and now I am doing a demo for the second year at the Fourth Annual Encaustic Conference. Hope to see you there!

No comments: